Starting 2012, Looking Back...

© 2011 Safuan Shahril's | Clifton Suspension Bridge
Hello! Hehe... Yes it's finally 2012. Another year and another opportunity to fix things in life. I'm sure everybody has a new year's resolution this year and hope that you guys determine in whatever path of interest you choose. I know I certainly need to change myself. Not giving bad impressions but good impressions. I still remember when the first time I felt in love with photography. I was only 12 at that moment and I'm pretty sure everybody likes a beautiful picture.


I think I came across of a picture that was took from one of my friends that he posted on MySpace. It was a picture of a tree. Yes, just a tree near the field in high school. The picture was somehow interesting yet very simple. Composition wise? It was a very good composed picture. In addition, the picture was taken with a normal Nokia handphone camera. You see the curiosity inside me felt that I needed to know how was that picture done effectively.



© 2009 Safuan Shahril's | Tree

© 2011 Safuan Shahril's | Lavender Field


Back then it was completely different. My attitude completely change towards the viewfinder world. I think it was a start when I won a photography competition as runners-up. Even though I didn't won as the winner, it completely changed my standards. I keep looking at my family and friends, who bought DSLR for themselves. I owned a 5 Mega pixel Canon Powershot S2 IS and I always hear quotes, such as, " the best camera is with you" and "it's not the camera but the person behind it". It did make me realise how selfish I was but in a way I had to start from the bottom to reach the top. Picasso teach us that imperfection is perfect. If you think about it if something is perfect, you could never make it better and sometimes it's nothing good to be perfect.

© 2009 Safuan Shahril's | Lines and Perspective
© 2011 Safuan Shahril's | London Eye | Odd One Out
Taking pictures always makes me feel good. It connects me with the world. Plus, I've always been documenting memories of my family. When we go out for a holiday or travel to places around the county, it's me that took their pictures. There's always a point in me when I tent to loose my mood and interest in photography. I always say "ahh there's nothing special I can shoot in town." blablabla... It sickens me the fact that I moaned too much but I've always loved photography. I remember one day when I was walking with my camera, I compose photos as I look around, all of the settings and composition was set before I raise my camera to my eye. I've developed a little shrug that, with almost no movement, can make my camera jump into my hands from its position hanging on my shoulder. I change my settings as I walk, not looking down, not thinking. I'm not thinking about my settings any more than I'm thinking about putting my right leg in front of my left. By the time I see something that resolve itself in my viewfinder, everything is the way I want it. It just makes sense to me.
© 2010 Safuan Shahril's | Reflection of Life
© 2010 Safuan Shahril's | Retro Road
That's my story. Thank you because of the people who supported me and for the people who inspired me from the beginning. However, I want to begin a new chapter, to fix things and change myself better. I want to raise my standards. I want to become a better photographer. I want to keep learning new things. I want to challenge myself to tackle my fear. I want to improve my technical skills. I can say this as long as I want too but I need to keep these promises to become better. If possible I will think of a project for myself this year and I will update this blog with more pictures. Quitting is never an option as I wish for all of you - the new year is full of excitement and challenges that leave you wanting more. For now, laters!


No comments:

Post a Comment