Street Photography | Review & Analyse...

© Safuan Shahril | Street Photography | Abstract Personality

Hello all the lovable people out there! Yes, I'm back with another post even though my recent post was two days ago. So, how was your previous week? I hope it was good and maybe something good happen to you or something. 

Anyway, it's been a pretty good week for me and was really happy that I was shooting on the streets in Bristol as usual. This week it was awkwardly cold even though I was wearing three jackets on me. I don't know how to describe it but it was so cold in the mornings until it definitely affected my mood to take photographs. Yeah, I guess getting geared up for the winter properly makes a difference but when I usually hold my camera, I always keep my shooting hand out from my pocket just incase to react fast when it comes to taking photos. All of sudden, that one afternoon at lunch the lighting was good and I could not resist of not taking photos. I mean the shadows were strong, there were quite a lot of people, and the most important that the lighting was great. Plus, the sun did keep me warm enough. So it the end of the week I was a happy boy. 

So in this post I will be talking through each photos from this week; how I analyse my photos and why and what it interests me the most in each photo. Get ready and enjoy! : )

©  Safuan Shahril | Street Photography | Shadow & Pillars


(1) Firstly, a simple photo of a shadow figure. Secondly, the first thing that you would probably would look first is the woman's figure or her shadow and that is the main subject. Now, as you can see the the figure is looking at the opposite way, which gives you the feeling of something might be happening on the other side (left). The space that I left makes it tense and gives a dynamic edge in the photograph. Other than that, what balances the the subject is the vertical pillars. In the photograph, the verticals somehow makes it look very strong and balanced.


© Safuan Shahril | Street Photograph | The Shadow wears Prada


(2) Another photograph of shadows. In this photograph, I choose to structure vertically because the tunnel was very small and I thought that the spotlight that hits the subject makes it look very cool. Again, there is a sense in this photograph that the high contrast gives the feeling and emotion of this picture. There's only one subject in this photograph or you could say there's two. The shadow figure looks like an interesting character; how it was posed and the fact that the positive (bright) and negative (dark) space focuses on the main subject in the photograph makes it effective. I could have crop the top a little bit just to avoid some space. I don't often crop my photos because I tent to leave my photos just the way it is and just edit the colours or converting them into black and white. But in this case it can be done with a just a few tweaks.


© Safuan Shahril | Street Photography | Untitled


(3) There I was walking at the park from my college. At first I saw a lady waiting for someone. I saw the perspective of the lane. Suddenly, the lady walked away when I lift my camera to my eye. "Shoot! I missed another shot" but then, another lady walked from behind me. I waited for the lady to enter my frame and I took the photograph. Notice how most of my photographs I took, the subject is within a third of the photograph. It is essential to use the basics right and be able to structure a photograph effectively. Another thing is that I turned this photograph in black and white because there was no bright or vibrant colours and I find black and white captures the soul of the photograph. 


©  Safuan Shahril | Street Photography | Minimal Puzzle


(4) A photograph if a man sitting. When I was looking it through my viewfinder, I was aiming for a minimal photograph. I think this is just another way to compose your photograph in unique way. Interestingly it looks like in a puzzle. A very simple photograph yet the formal elements in the photograph does the job and makes it effective. 


© Safuan Shahril | Street Photography | Couple in Lonely Road


(5) It was a raining Monday. What a way to start the week until I saw this couple. It was nearly perfect but I am satisfied with it. I took a couple of shots of this subject. The empty scene; very calm, very subtle, does the job for this photograph. I intend to apply high contrast on this photograph. The lighting wasn't that great but I love how lonely the couple looks. You could always install life into a shot by taking it at the right moment and all of this has to do with composition and timing.


Finally, this post shows how much I love black and white photographs. One of the reasons are it's simple, they always have that nostalgic feel, and they have the context, which comes within the history of black and white photographs from the past. For some reason I feel that a photograph should only be coloured as if there's vibrant or bright colours that stands out the photograph. If not, change into black and white. It's easy to work with tones than colour. Anyway don't take my words personally. This is only my opinion. I wished you have a very good luck and a happy week! Laters!


p/s: What your opinion? Black and White or Colour? : )

No comments:

Post a Comment